Braised Lamb Shanks With Squash Recipe
Posted on 07 February 2019
- 1/4 cup melted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- sea salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups chicken broth, or more as needed
- 1 cup red wine, or more as needed
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil in a large oven-safe pan over medium-high heat. Season lamb shanks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
- Stir onion, carrots, and celery into the pan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, garlic, 2 teaspoons thyme, 1 teaspoon rosemary, and basil. Pour in chicken broth and wine; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cover.
- Place covered pan in the preheated oven; bake until lamb shanks are tender, about 6 hours. Check level of liquid every 2 hours, adding more chicken broth or red wine if too much evaporates.
- Place butternut squash in a large pot of water with 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and return to the pot.
- Stir 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary. Mash with a fork until smooth. Reheat over medium heat before serving with lamb shanks.